Re: [dwm] mouse vs keyboard issues

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:18:29 +0100

On 8/30/07, none <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> "Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> writes:
> >>It's just that I get a little tired of this anti-mouse attitude that
> shows up
> >>every once in a while. This is 2007, the mouse (pointing devices in
> general)
> >>is part of your computer.
>
> My humble opinion is: every mouse operation should rely on mouse only.
> Alt + RightClick and Alt + LeftClick should be avoided, and some other
> combination should be given. Dwm lacks mouse control of the workspace.

The difficulty is that most other window managers have big decorations
(titlebars, borders) within which you can unambiguously click/drag to
do wm stuff. I'm not a hugely enamoured with the ModKey+mouse
approach, but I can't see any viable alternative if you already want
to use meanings for all the mouse-buttons you've got within
applications.

The vague thought I had for adding more mouse control was having a
mode which you could engage where mouse clicks would be interpreted as
dragging clients around in the client-list until you disengaged that
mode. (My work setup is two monitors with generally 4 columns split
between various numbers of main and stack columns so I sometimes want
to rearrange the windows so related stuff is closer together to making
flicking my view between windows easier. This isn't so much of an
issue with standard 2 column dwm.) But I'm busy at work and trying to
debug crashes porting my patches to dwm-4.4, so it's really on the
back burner.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com