Re: [dwm] A nice flame about C++

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:40:58 +0200

Tako rzecze Kurt H Maier (w e-mailu datowanym 2007-09-23, 09:28):

> On 9/23/07, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> > Not in the essential part of the argument (which I'm not taking sides
> > in), but in the language he uses and aggravation he shows, escecially
> > compared to the postings of the Dmitri guy.
>
> Not everyone considers the internet to be a stoicism competition.
> Some people prefer to use the most direct and attention-grabbing form
> of communication possible, so it gets read and digested.

This form of communications makes one concentrate on the persons
emotions rather than argument's essence, which kind of defeats the
purpose.

> If everyone who had strong opinions and wasn't afraid to voice them is
> to be considered a "complete moron," we're going to have to tear down
> some bell curves.

A strong opinion has nothing to do with with the form of the argument.
What's more, a truly strong opinion helps form a clear argument without
emotional noise. That's what I'd call „voicing strong opinions”.

Unless you meant a strong emotion associated with an opinion (be it
strong or not), which - in turn - has nothing to do with the argument
itself.

Hence I consider Linus' writings in the mentioned thread somewhat
amusing and containing 50% noise. Still, as I said, he might be right
even if the *way* he wrote what he wrote makes him look like a „complete
moron”.

Best,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |