Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm - dynamic virtual terminal manager - aka dwm for the console

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:25:07 +0100

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:14:54PM +0100, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007 1:29 PM, Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For some time i have been thinking about applying the concept of
> > tiling window management to the console. As a result i have
> > written dvtm, you can check it out here:
> >
> > http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
> >
> > dvtm is highly inspired by dwm and reuses some of it's code, so
> > dwm users will probably be familiar with it. dvtm depends on
> > libncurses and a patched version of librote[1] which handles the
> > terminal emulation stuff. Install instruction can be found on the
> > website mentioned above.
> >
> > dvtm comes with 3 standard layouts (tile,bstack,grid). In contrast
> > to dwm it currently doesn't have a status bar and therefore doesn't
> > read from stdin, it also has no support for tagging this may or may
> > not change in the future.
> >
> > Note that dvtm is in early development so there are still bugs in
> > both dvtm and the underlying terminal emulation library.
> > Feel free to fix them and send me a patch.
> >
> > Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
>
> I didn't try it out yet but it looks useful. Thanks.
>
> As it is probably not meant to be used within
> screen I'd like to ask whether it would work
> with dtach. Does it?

It seems to work with

 dtach -c /tmp/test -r winch dvtm

one thing which i noticed is that the initial window size of dvtm is
80x25 when you then resize the dtach window a sigwinch is send and dvtm
uses the whole area. Will look into this.

I think it should work with screen too, but the current default config.h
uses CTRL-A as modifier which conflicts with screen (i actually used
CTRL-A because i thought screen is using it so it won't conflict with
to many other apps).

With screen you get workspaces for free (different screen windows each running
dvtm) but this is probably not the best solution.

Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0