Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm - dynamic virtual terminal manager - aka dwm for the console

From: Jon Valdés <juanval_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:22:58 +0100

On Dec 8, 2007 1:29 PM, Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some time i have been thinking about applying the concept of
> tiling window management to the console. As a result i have
> written dvtm, you can check it out here:
>
> http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
>
> Note that dvtm is in early development so there are still bugs in
> both dvtm and the underlying terminal emulation library.
> Feel free to fix them and send me a patch.
>
> Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Apart from its inability to correctly clear the screen when pressing
Ctrl+L, it works pretty well :)

The only serious problem I've found with it is its performance :-S At
least on my computer, it's significantly slower than a normal
terminal. If this could be improved, this program would be absolutely
great :)

I tried to run it with a profiler to try to find the cpu hogs, but I
failed miserably (gprof did not store any info about time/call, so it
was pretty useless) :-S I'll try again later when I have some free
time.

Thanks for your work :)

Byee