Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm - dynamic virtual terminal manager - aka dwm for the console

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:49:43 +0100

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 03:22:58PM +0100, Jon Valdés wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007 1:29 PM, Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For some time i have been thinking about applying the concept of
> > tiling window management to the console. As a result i have
> > written dvtm, you can check it out here:
> >
> > http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
> >
> > Note that dvtm is in early development so there are still bugs in
> > both dvtm and the underlying terminal emulation library.
> > Feel free to fix them and send me a patch.
> >
> > Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
>
> Apart from its inability to correctly clear the screen when pressing
> Ctrl+L, it works pretty well :)

Good to hear, but there are still some problems for example with mutt
and it's threading view. #define DEBUG when compiling librote and you
will get some messages to stderr for example:

 http://www.brain-dump.org/tmp/rote-bug.txt

If someone is familiar with the various escape sequences a patch would
be great ;)

> The only serious problem I've found with it is its performance :-S At
> least on my computer, it's significantly slower than a normal
> terminal. If this could be improved, this program would be absolutely
> great :)

Try adjusting the TIMEOUT in config.h this specifies the amount of time
in milliseconds that getch will block before returning an error when
trying to read a keypress. So the currently selected window is repainted
every 150ms all others (see interval variable in dvtm.c:main) are
updated all 10*150ms. This was actually done to reduce cpu usage but
since dvtm hasn't seen much real world usage yet it may be total crap.

Anyway suggestions and improvements welcome.

> I tried to run it with a profiler to try to find the cpu hogs, but I
> failed miserably (gprof did not store any info about time/call, so it
> was pretty useless) :-S I'll try again later when I have some free
> time.

CPU shouldn't be the problem.

> Thanks for your work :)

Thanks for testing.