Re: [dwm] Xinerama support

From: Engin Tola <engin.tola_AT_epfl.ch>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:12:48 +0100

pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> writes:

> Recently I buyed a 20" 16:10 tft, and i really feel interesting to have
> xinerama with dwm. Thinking about that I got the idea that we should just
> store two variables:
>
> - selected tag for each monitor (static array?)
> - focused monitor index
>
> This way we can add some functions over these concepts to switch focus
> between monitors.
>
> This would be really nice if you're going to use an external monitor or
> a "projector" to give a talk, you can have different contents on each
> monitor and work "out" of the view for the public.
>
> What do you think about this behaviour?
>
> --pancake

I work with 2 monitors at work and for this purpose I launch 2 dwm
instances one for each display. I also use switchscreen* utility to move
between the displays. One problem I have -as you can guess - is that I
cannot move a program launched in one display to the other one.

One idea I was playing in my mind with for a while was assigning some of
the tags to the other display and move between the displays seamlessly
as if moving between the tags -> I guess I'll still have the problem of
not being able to move the programs between other-display-tags but it'd
look more natural and I won't have to invoke switchscreen separately.

For my taste, treating different displays as different tag sets is a
better solution than defining a very large display where one tag spreads
over both of the screens. But of course the ability to move program
windows between the displays is quite handy, too.

So, I agree with you pancake. having different contents on screens is
really nice for presentations and like.

* http://users.tkk.fi/~spniskan/switchscreen/

[snip]

--