Re: [dwm] [ANNOUNCE] dvtm-0.2

From: Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439_AT_csun.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:46:54 -0800

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:15:56 +0100
Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have released dvtm-0.2, it no longer depends on librote instead it
> includes madtty which has better terminal emulation support.
> So you only need a curses library to build dvtm.
>
> Other changes include:
>
> * a select(2) driven event loop which should reduce CPU usage.
>
> * ability to minimize windows (only the titlebar will be shown)
> the corresponding function for use with a key binding is
> toggleminimize. Functions to select the next/previous non minimized
> window where also added, they are called focus{next,prev}nm.
>
> * an optional status bar which reads from a named pipe, see the
> included dvtm-status script for a use case.
>
> * a new fullscreen layout
>
> * sigterm handler, which leaves curses mode. Useful when you kill dvtm
> so you don't have to type reset.
>
> * Portability: i have compiled dvtm on Open and FreeBSD, there are some
> minor issues (OpenBSD uses some ugly window borders and the selected
> window border isn't red, on FreeBSD only part of the window title is
> red not the whole window border). Patches welcome.
>
> To build dvtm on a system with wide character type:
>
> make unicode && make install
>
> this generates a executable which is linked agains libncursesw.
> Otherwise a plain:
>
> make && make install
>
> should suffice.
>
> I hope this release turns out to be pretty usable, so please test it and
> report any failure or success stories.
>
> http://www.brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/dvtm-0.2.tar.gz
>
> Thanks and happy new year.
> Marc

Hey there,

This is my first time trying out dvtm and it is a wonderful and useful piece of software. Congrats!

I haven'te done much testing but I found an issue when using finch (part of pidgin IM). When I launch "finch" all the characters are messed up..replaced by "@" characters instead of lines or dashes.

This is on a debian etch 4.0 system.

Thanks,
Amit