Re: [dwm] java 7 and dwm

From: Sylvain Bertrand <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:22:55 +0100

2008/1/23, Renick Bell <renick_AT_gmail.com>:
> Anselm> Is IcedTea based on the Sun source code?
>
> http://iced-tea.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> " What is IcedTea?
>
> "Not all of the source code that makes up the JDK is available under
> an open-source license. In order to build an OpenJDK binary from
> source code, you must first download and install one or more of the
> following files from which the build process will copy over 'binary
> plugs' for these encumbered components." (from
> http://openjdk.java.net/)
>
> IcedTea is a build harness for the OpenJDK that provides stubs and GNU
> Classpath replacements for the encumbered binary plugs, and allows the
> OpenJDK to be bootstrapped against GCJ. It is not a fork of the
> OpenJDK, and doesn't contain the OpenJDK source code."

Should be the default build harness for Sun OpenJDK if they want to be
a bit more open source serious.

> Someone brought up this post below with regards to this issue. I lack
> enough skill currently to implement such a solution. Has anyone made a
> patch for dwm along these lines? Maybe I've overlooked it:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/1790

Ok, java and its siblings are messes to maintain. Nothing new.

http://trolltech.com/products/qt
http://www.gtk.org/
http://www.pygtk.org/
http://ruby-gnome.sourceforge.net/
http://ubuntustudio.org/
http://www.linuxaudio.org/

> Icedtea seems like the most ethical choice, and it was already
> packaged as well. Too bad it doesn't seem to solve the issue. So,
> again, any suggestions?

Patch java and/or Code in C.

> Renick
>
> --
> Renick Bell
> http://the3rd2nd.com

I don't think java and its siblings will have room on suckless.org because:
"Dedicated to software which sucks less.
Home of wmii, dwm, libixp, and other quality software with a focus on
simplicity, clarity, and frugality."