Re: [dwm] a patch to solve the java issue (gray windows) with dwm?

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:04:57 +0100

This patch is not a solution. is just a hack.

If you read the patch, and the archives in tihs mailing list you'll find
the reason and some snippets of java code (and the path to the buggy code
into the java source).

The patch obviously is not affordable for dwm because monad is written in
Haskell...but a patch for dwm would be probably a single line in C.

So the solution is not to hack into the window manager because its a bug
in the virtual machine..well..in reality its not a bug, its an ugly hack :P

And fix hacks with hacks is ugly. :P

FYI: What Java does is to check for the window manager name and if it's
known perform correctly and if not show a grey screen. The solution is
just to remove these lines or add "dwm" as a valid window manager.

Any X11 guru to provide a hack for those unhappy users? I have no time
to look at it now, and my Java works fine.

--pancake