[dwm] We need a different Xinerama implementation

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:14:44 +0100

I agree that the current approach has flaws and I'd like to
address them before dwm-4.8. Actually I'd like to hear your
opinions first to what you think might be the best solution of
supporting multihead setups?

I more and more come to the conclusion that classical multihead
support is not worth the effort anymore. The DISPLAY= variable
should do the trick for those setups (meaning running separate
instances of dwm for each screen) -- but Xinerama provides much
more possibilities so that I see a different use case here.

I consider different tagsets for each screen, which can't be
selected in a join way, to prevent the basic problem of being
unable to display the same window on different screens.

Maybe somewhat into the direction of having a 2D tagset, with y
addressing different screens (yiyus or pancake came up with this
idea if I remember correctly) for the Xinerama case, and y
addressing different virtual screens for the non Xinerama case.

Hence, say tags 1-4 address screen 1, tags 5-9 address screen 2
or so, but tagging a client 1+5 is not possible. This should
give you a rough idea.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,