Re: [dwm] ntile layout for dwm hg tip

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:30:40 +0200

Nibble <nibble_AT_develsec.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> > And I can say that for xinerama we will probably need to adapt it to
> > support also vertical tiling. Using horitzontal it's mostly a waste of
> > space on big screens.
>
> Yes, I think you are right. Furthermore, horizontal tiling (Anselm's notation)
> could be useful for some other geoms (eg "bottom").
>
> > I would like to see something like vntile and hntile or just a toggle for
> > it. What do you think about this?
>
> It is a good idea. In the patch there are now four layouts called:
> "-|=", ntilevv
> "-||", ntilevh
> "||=", ntilehv
> "|||", ntilehh
> to fit all the cases: 2 small screens, 2 big screens, 1 small and/or 1 big
> screen. People can safely remove from the patch those ones they don't
> need.

You could simplify the code by introducing to two global variables that
indicate whether the master or tiled area is horizontal.
So switching to |= would simply set tileh = True and leave masterh
unchanged and switchting to -|= would set tileh = True and masterh = True.
So you could simple toggle the behaviour (e.g. MOD-v -> masterh = False,
MOD-Shift-v -> tileh = False) and don't need four layouts.

Anyway I think some kind of nmaster patch should go into dwm hg tip.

Regards
Matthias-Christian