Re: [dwm] A rather radical thought

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:48:53 +0200

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:27:11PM +0400, Michael wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 06:04:26PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > Well if it is not possible to view several tags at a time, two
> > tagall/dropall functions could be considered to apply/drop a certain
> > tag to all visible clients for convenience reasons.
>
> But then after switching to another tag, I would still see those window windows,
> which i marked in previous view, current approach is good because of lacking
> such behaviour.
>
> Let me be more specific, I use this feature when I want mix firefox and OOO, I
> just apply for the current view two tags: doc and www, which is very logical.
> I don't want to apply doc tag for firefox window every time I need to look for
> something in web page, it will require too many actions, and i think it's just
> not correct: I want only *view* specific tags, I don't want apply any of them.
>
> Dwm is excellent manager, it has simple and powerful system of views and tags,
> and you want to elliminate one of the degree of freedom in it, please, don't do
> it.

Well the reason I started this discussion was actually to just
discuss this idea. We did several times in the past, and always
we came to the conclusion that dwm is right already.

Though, I see a lot of potential to improve the basic layout
algorithm to something which is similiar capable to the wmii column
layout.

Kind regards,