Re: [dwm] Asustek EEE PC 1000 Atom 1GB 40G SSD Linux Black

From: Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:41:43 +0200

Greetings,
On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 10:28:28AM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> What do people think about such an EEE PC as low budget option to run
> dwm on? Any experiences already if the screen is big enough for daily
> work? I had an opportunity yesterday to try one, and I must admit I'm
> keen to order one. The keyboard and keys have surprisingly proper
> size.
 I have been using dwm on my eee for like 9 months. It's not a
"possibility" as such, but a "necessity" to make the eee usable at all
(fishing around with a conventional wm with that touchpad is hell).
I use the monocle layout.

 The keyboard is pretty good, but the screen is rather small for "daily
work" imho. I have done some programming on the eee when I had to, but I
wouldn't take it instead of my 24" tft and unicomp buckling spring
keyboard...

 The builtin linux is usable on the short run, but kind of annoying if
you really want to use it. Debian 4.0 stable distros work with apt,
kinda (it will break the builtin firefox, you have to use iceweasel
instead).

 If you're willing to give up the quick boot time, I'd recommend
installing your own OS. This will also gain you quite a lot of extra
storage space, since the builtin xandros has its default image on a big
partition, and stores user stuff and changes by unionfs.. With this,
it's possible to quickly reset the factory configuration (by the F9
bootup menu), but you can't remove packages (kde trash) to gain space.

Regards,
 Mate