Re: [dwm] Asustek EEE PC 1000 Atom 1GB 40G SSD Linux Black

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:28:39 +0200

Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2008/9/5 Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>:
> > Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> >> What do people think about such an EEE PC as low budget option to run
> >> dwm on? Any experiences already if the screen is big enough for daily
> >> work? I had an opportunity yesterday to try one, and I must admit I'm
> >> keen to order one. The keyboard and keys have surprisingly proper
> >> size.
> >
> > The previous EEE PC models were unusable with dwm (well, pretty much
> > unusable with everything), except maybe monocle.
> > I don't have one (I think these mini-notebooks are just toys and wasted
> > money), but my 17" CRT runs at 1024x768. As far as I know the EEE PC
> > has a resolution of 1024x600, so it's compareable.
> > Working with 1024x768 makes tiling unusable (except maybe with multiple
> > horizontal masters and no stacking area (there were some patches for
> > this some time ago)) and you are forced to use tags as workspaces or use
> > monocle and floating.
>
> Well, I used 1024x768 most of my life and it was very usable for me.
> All you need to do is using some 10pt font to get some terminals on
> the screen.

Accoring to [1], this would be equivalent to terminus 14px which is
dwm standard. Well, I couldn't work with something smaller.

> > So as far as I can tell, running dwm on everything >19" or >1600x1200 is
> > painful and does only have some smaller advantages (like code size,
> > keyboard usage, performance) over other WIMP window managers.
> > Therefore save our planet and don't buy these e-waste.
>
> Well give it a try in some shop and I bet you will judge it
> differently then. I also thought exactly the same about such small pcs
> that they are unusable and wasted money, but now I think I was wrong
> after having tested one...

Well, I tested a EEE PC 700 that was running GNOME. All you can do with
this computer is toy with it, but it's impossible to do any serious work
on this machine (nearly impossible to touch type, small screen, didn't
seem to be rock solid quality). Maybe these 10" are a bit better, but
anyhow tiling window managers don't make that much sense on such small
displays.

> Kind regards,
> --Anselm

Regards,