Re: [dwm] suckless mail

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 00:55:42 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 06:11:42PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> I have been thinking these days on writing something suckless for
> managing my mail. I don't know if any of you is happy with any mail
> client, but I do not feel comfortable with any of them.
>
> mutt is quite nice but is 'big' and there are so many open bugs like
> closing the connections when receiving a window-resize event. which is
> quite anoying.. sylpheed have some socket-locking problems, evolution is
> awesomely bloated and is not very nice when resizing the window.
>
> This is why I am thinking on writing a set of small tools for managing
> the mail in a minimalistic way.
>
> What I have in mind is something more simple that can be done without
> many LOCs and splitting the problem in multiple programs will achieve a
> better.
>
> - pop3 client
> - imap client
> - smtp client
> - mbox/mdir client with support for mime
> - frontend shell or so

I use a combination of imapfilter, offlineimap, mutt and ssmtp.
I am however not always that happy with it. Imapfilter uses lua for it's
configuration, while this gives a great deal of flexibility and is
probably the best choice under the many scripting languages it still
seems like overkill.

Then offlineimap is bloated as hell (it has about 5 different user
interfaces, WTF seariously) on top of that it crashes quite often
lately. So because of this i started to look around for a sane imap
library which would share the protocol stuff between the filtering
and sync application but it seems such a library doesn't exists.
Or at least i haven't found it yet. The original imap lib which
is used by php seemed ugly as hell. So in my opinion the first step
would probably be to write one from scratch, but this isn't that much
fun either which is why i haven't started yet.

Regards,
Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0