Re: [dwm] patch: fix screen flicker with monocle

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:19:02 -0700

On Sep 6, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Anselm R Garbe wrote:

> 2008/9/3 Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>:
>> I'm sure there might be other problems I created...I don't
>> understand the
>> X11 event model at all.
>
> Yes you did. It is important to showhide() before focus and restack
> handling. I also slightly changed your initial showhide() version. See
> hg tip for reference.

You're right.

>> For example, if my pointer is located over window A, and I use the
>> keyboard
>> to switch between windows B and C, window A briefly gets focus.
>
> Yes, this was because you performed showhide() after restack(). At the
> end of restack all enternotify's are flushed.

Actually, this is a totally unrelated problem. The problem is that
XGrabKeyboard generates focus events (XGrabKeyboard is called by the
X server after establishing the passive grab with XGrabKey).

So, all keyboard shortcuts cause the window under the mouse to
briefly get focus. I've used Metacity (the GNOME WM) with focus-
follows-mouse, and it doesn't have this behavior when I Alt-Tab.