Re: [dwm] patch: fix screen flicker with monocle

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:09:34 +0100

2008/9/8 Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>:
> On Sep 6, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> 2008/9/3 Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>:
>>> For example, if my pointer is located over window A, and I use the
>>> keyboard
>>> to switch between windows B and C, window A briefly gets focus.
>>
>> Yes, this was because you performed showhide() after restack(). At the
>> end of restack all enternotify's are flushed.
>
> Actually, this is a totally unrelated problem. The problem is that
> XGrabKeyboard generates focus events (XGrabKeyboard is called by the X
> server after establishing the passive grab with XGrabKey).
>
> So, all keyboard shortcuts cause the window under the mouse to briefly get
> focus. I've used Metacity (the GNOME WM) with focus-follows-mouse, and it
> doesn't have this behavior when I Alt-Tab.

I can't see why grabbing keys is an issue here. focus() only triggers
a button grab on the old and new client which might causing this issue
here. In Gnome WM you don't see this, because button grab's aren't
necessary on a focus() basis, since it reparents the client windows
and hence can keep the passive button grab for the whole lifetime of a
client window on the frame window. So I fear, you/we have to live with
this side effect.

Kind regards,
--Anselm