Re: [dwm] slowness in moving windows OR vlc/mplayer crash

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:06:08 +0100

2008/9/9 Albert Cardona <acardona_AT_ini.phys.ethz.ch>:
> I have an ATI FireGL and I use the fglrx binary driver, in ubuntu 8.04. That
> said:
>
> With these two arguments in the Section "Device" of xorg.conf:
>
> Option "Textured2D" "On"
> Option "TexturedXrender" "On"
>

> ... dwm drags windows around very slowly.
>
> But if those parameters are not there, then VLC and mplayer crash when
> opening any movie.
>
> Did anyone run onto the issues above?

The window moving/resizing code might be changed after dwm-5.2 which I
plan to release tonight. My favorite is just keeping a server grab
during the resize/move to prevent clients from redrawing since they
won't receive any events during that time. The current code however
has been implemented as is on purpose, because I kind of liked the
idea to see terminal refreshing themselves during resizals. But I
might never actually used this, since I'm normally in tiled mode
only...

Kind regards,
--Anselm