Re: [dwm] dwm + xft

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:22:53 -0700

On Sep 11, 2008, at 8:14 PM, bill lam wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Donald Chai wrote:
>> I tried adding pango+xft support because bitmap CJK fonts suck,
>> and also
>
> Sorry for my ignorance. The chinese font on my FF3 now looks ugly
> while it previously looks quite good using ukai under gnome. Does
> this patch fix all related font issue for programs run under dwm, or
> this patch only fix the font issue that appeared in the top statusbar?

I hope the font in your statusbar looks okay, at least. :)

The patch is to "improve" the fonts in the statusbar, and isn't
supposed to affect fonts in other applications. If it does, then it's
probably a bug. By "looks ugly" do you mean it's rendered with a
different font, or that the font is improperly rendered?

I've checked with rxvt-unicode and FF2 (Iceweasel), and everything
looks fine. If I go to http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%e5%ad%99%e7%87%95%e5%a7%bf, the
statusbar and the FF2 text look fine.

I can't run FF3 without upgrading all my libraries. I'll try to check
again when I get to my machine running Debian testing.

Note:
    1) I only cracked open the Pango/Xft manuals yesterday.
    2) My LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8
    3) Arphic UKai is the only Chinese font I have installed

Unfortunately, I can't do much to help you. Firefox doesn't seem to
respond to the XFT_DEBUG environment variable, and I still can't
figure out why FreeType renders Lucida Console differently on Mac and
Linux.