[dwm] Notifications

From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:18:34 -0300

Hi,

I use irssi+bitlbee to cover all my im/irc needs. Up til now my window
manager was ratpoison and I had programmed a simple perl hook which
output the incoming message to ratpoison's status bar. This bar is
normally hidden and only shows up when the echo command is called,
overlayed above the current window.

As I prefer to keep dwm bar hidden by default, I'm not able to see the
urgent flag mark that dwm sets on the tag list. So I tried to figure
out a way to be notified without permanently wasting the top bar
pixels. I came up to two different solutions:

1) toggle the bar visible if urgent hint is set for any client.

2) hack manage() to show (g)xmessages floating bottom right without
stealing focus.

I'd implemented both variants with relative ease. I think I'll keep
the first one as it's the most spartan and requires less changes.

What do you think? Anyone had the same problem and came to a different solution?

Regards
-Carlos