Re: [dwm] Notifications

From: Premysl Hruby <dfenze_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:55:13 +0200

On (29/09/08 17:18), Carlos Pita wrote:
> To: dwm_AT_suckless.org
> From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com>
> Subject: [dwm] Notifications
>
> Hi,
>
> I use irssi+bitlbee to cover all my im/irc needs. Up til now my window
> manager was ratpoison and I had programmed a simple perl hook which
> output the incoming message to ratpoison's status bar. This bar is
> normally hidden and only shows up when the echo command is called,
> overlayed above the current window.
>
> As I prefer to keep dwm bar hidden by default, I'm not able to see the
> urgent flag mark that dwm sets on the tag list. So I tried to figure
> out a way to be notified without permanently wasting the top bar
> pixels. I came up to two different solutions:
>
> 1) toggle the bar visible if urgent hint is set for any client.
>
> 2) hack manage() to show (g)xmessages floating bottom right without
> stealing focus.
>
> I'd implemented both variants with relative ease. I think I'll keep
> the first one as it's the most spartan and requires less changes.
>
> What do you think? Anyone had the same problem and came to a different solution?
>
> Regards
> -Carlos

For notifications I heavily use urgency wm hint. It's setup is terminal
dependent, in (u)rxvt it's as easy as

        Rxvt.urgentOnBell: true

into your .Xresources. The second step is to setup irssi to beep on
hilight/query etc. This can be done with:

        /set beep_msg_level NOTICE MSGS HILIGHT
        /set beel_beeps OFF

and if you run irssi in screen (as I do, I connect to it via ssh) put
this into .screenrc:

        vbell off
        bell_msg 'Bell in window %n^G'

With this all, you can get easily notified by simple "beep" on terminal,
so mutt can notify you on new mail, lftp on download finished etc. etc.

-Ph

--
Premysl "Anydot" Hruby, http://www.redrum.cz/