Re: [dwm] Slightly OT: Looking for decent graphics card

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:46:44 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 05:58:06PM +0200, Tube wrote:
> Sorry for being a little bit off-topic but I think you're the people who might
> have the clue. I'm looking for a good 2D graphics card from a manufacturer
> that supports linux drivers that work. I used Matrox all the years but the
> provided drivers don't run anymore with the latest version of xorg.

I picked up a Matrox G450 one year ago (new for 1€ on eBay). The driver
is a bit ugly, but it's hackable. Reverse engineering the blob is also
not hard.

> Any suggestion for a good power saving card?

What about an AMD geode ;)? Moreover, Intels cards are mainly Free
Software. You could also solder one yourself (there are SMD framebuffer
chips): http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_1.asp?P=3 (there are
some pci card with these chips)

> TIA
> Tube