Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:47:33 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:35:20AM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> Thanks for all the valueable input so far in this thread.
>
> I think here are the action points:
>
> 1) I plan to separate the bar stuff code-wise into two portions -- the
> tag bar with tags and layout info, and the title/status bar, but
> things will stay as they are from a user perspective, it's just some
> code cleanup which allows replacing the tagbar and/or title/status bar
> with something else (or avoiding to compile it in)
>
> There might be possible pango/cairo implementations of this stuff, I
> plan to have a font API interface, something like libsfont which is
> used by dwm and dmenu to start with, and which depends on either Xlib
> or some more fancy sucking stuff optionally.
>
> 2) I need to investigate into the reparent stuff first, I really
> dislike going the reparent route, because each parent window consumes
> much more X resource memory (basically twice the buffer sizes as we
> have already if you use a reparenting WM -- this makes everything
> slower). I really think bug the authors of the broken apps to fix
> their apps that they do not assume a reparenting WM.
>
> So the action here is: let's make a list of all apps which are known
> to be broken and behaving strange with dwm first, that I can
> investigate.
>
> - Mathematica (Version?)
> - ... please provide input

That's mainly proprietary software. dwm shouldn't support that kind of
software, but instead expose their bare brokenness to the user. Maybe users
will realise then that proprietary software is not worth using, because you
can't even fix trivial bugs like this.

> 3) I agree multihead has got some preference, I like the approach to
> assign certain tags to specific screens.

Could you please briefly explain why you are opposed to XRandR. It seems
pretty common and usable.

> Kind regards,
> Anselm

Regards,