Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:30:37 -0500

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:37:17PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
>> cad softwares (and many related formats are closed as well)
> Well, they are not superior or unique. Their formats are just proprietary
> and there's no Free Software for that, because the vendors try by all means
> to prevent this.

This is flat-out wrong. There's nothing in the FOSS world that
remoteley competes with something like AutoDesk NavisWorks. Like most
of us here, I use mostly free software, but I have to maintain a
Windows installation for my wife, who is and engineer. She's really
excited about NavisWorks (I could provide a list of other engineering
software that has no FOSS competition, too).

I've experimented with showing her FOSS alternatives to CAD packages,
but she quickly explains (convincingly) why they are basically toys.
Take SewerCad. The package name sounds like a joke, but drainage and
sewage design is obviously very important, and there's basically
nothing out there in the FOSS world.

Reverse-engineering the document format is the smallest fraction of
the tiniest problem. NavisWorks specifically really is superior and
unique. If you're familiar at all with CAD or engineering software
watch the screencast[1] (requires flash) and it will blow your mind.

[1]-http://www.adskmedia.com/navisworks-engineering/

# Kurt H Maier