Re: [dwm] dwm's future

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:27:04 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:07:55PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> If we just implement this stuff into separated .c or .h files, so everybody
> can still use the basic x11 stuff, or just use cairo/pango or..maybe someone
> would like to use it on w32 or osx, so, these guys will just have to
> implement
> this little backend, and keep all the dwm internals clean and portable for
> all the systems and backends (also for ncurses?).

From my experience of "porting" dwm to win32[1] I can only say that in theory
this sounds like a perfect solution but in practice it won't work because
you will have to work around some random misfeatures of the target platform.

> The problem here is
> that actually all the keybinding stuff depends on X, and there are other
> stuff that is pretty linked to X11, and if we want to drop this hard X11
> binding we should try to split it up into a set of callbacks.

Depending on how much callbacks you would need, this will just clutter the
dwm source for now obvious benefit.

Regards,
Marc

[1] http://lists.suckless.org/dwm/0904/7891.html