Re: [hackers] [dwm][patch] Fix transparent borders

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 13:52:29 +0200

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:37:02AM +0200, maxardis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I personally didn't think this is worthy of a patch, but some people
> actually find it useful.
>
> Issue is that by default when using dwm with compositing window
> manager (xcompmgr, picom) whenever client (most often it is terminal)
> has transparent background it's borders also become transparent.
>
> This is not what people expect or want and hence the need to fix that.
> One possible solution is to use alpha patch. But some people don't
> know that it fixes the issue (description of alpha patch only says
> about adding opacity to statusbar), and others find it an overkill or
> have difficulty applying the patch.
>
> In the end all that is needed is just one line of code. I don't know
> wheter it should become part of mainline or a patch.
>
> Commit: <https://github.com/szatanjl/dwm/commit/1529909466206016f2101457bbf37c67195714c8>
>
> Br,
> Jakub Leszczak

Hi,

To me this is not an issue, but a preference. I don't like alpha transparency
personally.

"This is not what people expect or want and hence the need to fix that."
Is wrong.

Regardless, thanks for sending code / feedback. Maybe it can be added to the
wiki page for the alpha patch? The wiki is public and can be pushed to.

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo