[wmii] Some ideas of layouts

From: Jani H. Lahtinen <jani.h.lahtinen_AT_nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:13:22 +0200

Now that the 2.5 is out and stable and I have had some time to look at
the code, I could try to contribute a bit, although I must confess that
I have never done any coding involving X. I could start hanging around
in irc from now on. Here are some ideas. Occasionally I do have good
ideas in the middle of bad ones so please feel free to say which parts
are crap :-)

Instead of having two layouts for column and floating mode, could be
only one. Each page would be divided by horisontal and vertical splits
into frames. Each frame can be divided in a similar fashion. For
example the following page:
-------------
|1 |2 |
| -----
| |3 |
.------------
|4 |5 |
-------------
Can have the division to frames and subframes:
((1 (2 3)) (4 5))
or
((1 4) (2 3 5))
in which an expression in parenthesis corresponds to a frame. Frames
containing no sub-frames are not in parenthesis. Each frame can have
tabs, including the main frame, for which tabs =
pager.

Also allow creation of empty frames. A new client will first occupy
an empty frame before creating a new one.

The floating environment I would replace with the possibility of
stacking frames on the same page. That is, a floating window is only a
single occupied frame surrounded by empty ones in its own frame
covering the whole screen.

A client could be associated with multiple frames. I could have a
system monitoring open on one window that is present in all other
pages except on the page where I have a graphical design software
running, which requires the whole screen.

Facilitate frame resizing with the keyboard. Such as, M-S-< could
shrink the selected frame by half (or a ratio of the golden section)
and the frame next to it will grow.

Jani