Re: [wmii] Stacks

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:18:25 +0100

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:03:57PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> To be honest I have no clue how it might work in practice (maybe a
> list of names in the tag? too space wasteful) And then you would need
> a way to list all the windows with certain tags, maybe a mechanism
> similar to the 'detached virtual page' but with one virtual page per
> tag? This might even be able to replace the static concept of pages
> and instead just have 'dynamic pages' where all the windows with the
> same tag show up, hence allowing a client to be in more than one page.
> But I can't think of any sane UI for this, and it probably complicated
> things way too much for little or no gain.

Tagging windows with arbitrary tags sounds pretty painful to me.
It is easy to press or invoke a tag sending a window to a
specific page (that is like a tag) and you don't have to think
about how you call the tag, because a page is associated with a
number.

With this in mind, we already got 'dynamic pages' in my eyes,
though I considered a completely different idea, namely to
destroy empty pages automatically without the exception of page
0. But on the other hand it would force the dynamic concept
completely on a page level and Machnus for example won't be able
to keep up his static environment where a specific page contains
specific clients for a special task ...

Regards,