Re: [wmii] regarding documentation for wmii-3

From: Juanval <juanval_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:38:45 +0100

On 3/2/06, Olof Krantz <olof.krantz_AT_telia.com> wrote:
> Why do we want documentation in all the worlds languages? It just get's
> harder to keep them up to date.
> And docs that are not up to date is almost worse than no docs at all.
> Computer users need english anyway.
> Personally, I'm always suspicious to docs in swedish.
>
> If there is documentation in your native language, you will of course
> choose to read that. If the translator has been busy with something
> else, chances are the docs aren't up2date.
>
> Just having one english documentation, which is updated frequently to
> address the latest fixes and changes is better, well, that's what I
> think anyway.
>
> Just a thought.

You are absolutely right, but I don't think it would be necessary to
update the docs for every snap, just for the stable releases, wich
happen not very often.
If it's an effort to do every 2 or 3 months, for example, I expect it
would be fairly easy to find people to create decent translations for
a few languages.

On the other hand, I agree with you that having a translation for lots
of languages would be a waste of resources, and wouldn't make much
sense.

Anyway, probably there are here some more people like me, that use
WMII, and would like to help with it's development, but don't have the
time (or knowledge) to improve the code. So we offer our help in
things we think we can be of some aid (it feels selfish to use
something as useful as WMII without helping its creator). That help
can sometimes be with bug tracking, theme creation or, as in this
case, documentation and translations.

The problem with this, is that we don't generally know what "small
things" need to be done (at least not those of us who don't enter the
IRC channel), and so we offer our help when somebody calls for it, as
it has just happened with translations.

In my opinion, it would be interesting if a page was created in the
wmii web saying what "small things" need to be done, so that people
like me can know about it, and help with them.

So, what do you think?