Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:20:00 +0100

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:12:58PM -0800, Anthony Martin wrote:
> Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> once said:
> > What the hell are you people thinking? This removes the whole dynamic
> > concept of cols, and makes it almost impossible to get a larswm-like behaviour.
>
> I agree with Uriel. If the user has to manually create columns, isn't
> that completely opposite the dynamic wm concept?

To prevent any confusion. The user has not to create manually
columns. He uses wmii like acme, he just creates a page with 2
or 3 columns (or simply 1 column if he uses a browser or
whatever). It is pretty much like acme -c <n>

> > This makes the whole system much more dynamic as one can create and
> > delete windows and one doesn't have to worry about keeping track of
> > existing cols and of reclaiming the space of empty cols, and one
> > doesn't waste space with the title for the col.
>
> Exactly.

What the system makes dynamic is, that you can easily move
clients between columns and that you can on the fly change the
layout of a column, how it organizes the space for its clients.

Why do we need additional concepts?

Regards,