Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Christian Simonutti <csimonut_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:48:14 +0100

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:35:03AM -0500, John Nowak wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 3:22 AM, Christian Simonutti wrote:
>
> >I thought, wmii is dynamic. This statements don't form a dynamic
> >windowmanager.
> >
> >Empty columns? Manually create/remove?
>
> If that isn't dynamic, then I'd suggest no window manager will meet
> your definition of dynamic. I think the notion that wmii is "dynamic"
> is complete bunk to be honest. I have to deal with frames, locking/
> unlocking of frames (at least in 2.5), switching between frames,
> changing display modes, resizing (when something in my browser
> doesn't fit), moving stuff between workspaces, et cetera. If
> anything, wmii is more mental "work" than an overlapping manager,
> which just consists of "this is in the way, I'll move it".

Well, I was a littlebit loose in my response - hope I can clarify that.

Empty columns always pop up in discussions. I always thought they are
against wmii's dynamic behaviour. Not the user should layout clients,
that's the job of the wm - as state on wmii.de:

"Dynamic window management states that it is the window manager's job to
manage windows - and not the user's job to have to set up some
specialized layout that will only work for one specific work scenario.
This has been the larswm motto for a long time. In contrast to static
window management, the user rarely has to think about how to organize
windows, no matter what they are doing or how many applications they are
using at the same time. The window manager adapts to the current
environment and helps the user manage and mold it to their needs, rather
than forcing it to use a preset, fixed layout and trying to shoehorn all
windows and applications into it."

Simon