Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:23:22 +0100

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:05:50PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> See the other mail as well, to summarize, the 'problem' is, that
> column allows more or less columns than 2, and the larsWM
> concept does not scale well to more than 2 columns without
> getting into corner cases as mentioned in the other mail.
> On the other hand, your points here are not wrong, if they are
> simply based on your impression by larsWM or tiled layout in
> 2.5.x. But column layout is rather more flexible (thus complex)
> then the 2-track concept.

Btw. an easy proof why exclusive flag (aka locking) does not
work well with column layout is easy. Assume you want to create
3 columns. How do you do that with implicit column creation?

- run a terminal
- set column exclusive (might be the default on a new page)
- run a second terminal (this is attached to a newly created
  column)
- set column exclusive (ok, we got two adjacent exclusive
  columns)
- run a terminal
  (unclear: what happens if the first column is selected?)
  at least a third column needs to be created
- unset exclusive flag of first column
- unset exclusive flag of second column

Now compare this with what I'd do instead:

- press Alt-n
- press Alt-n
- press Alt-n

What is easier and more predictable?