Re: [wmii] layout discussion

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 14:21:01 +0100

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 02:05:19PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > To get something like the larswm zooming feature there'll be a
> > swapto command, which swaps the selected client with a specific
> > different column. The sendto command might have the impact, that
> > a column gets empty and is destroyed.
> Now this is much more messy and complex than exclusive flag, because
> it affects how all windows are moved around, and I can't even
> understand how the semantics would work(how do you pick the client to
> swap? This is much more specialized and awkward than exclusive flag,
> and it's forced on everyone no matter if they want it or not.

It is even less complex and more predictable than an exclusive
flag, because you get no corner cases. If you got following
arrangement:

AAABB
AAACC
AAADD

(/sel/1/{A}, /sel/2/{B,C,D})

and assumed A is selected in the first col, and CC is selected
in the second col, a swapto would do:

CCCBB
CCCAA
CCCDD

(/sel/1/C, /sel/2/{A,B,D})

You pick up the clients which should be swapped through
selecting them or to just send the swapto command to the correct
client, ie.

xwrite /sel/sel/sel/ctl swapto next

This would swap the selected clients with the selected client of
next column (in above scenario exactly what has been described).

xwrite /sel/2/0/ctl swapto sel

This would swap the the first client of the second column
(explicitely addressed in this case) with the selected client of
the selected column (in above scenario swap B with A).

We spare a shortcut to set a column exclusive and we only need
a 'swapto next' shortcut normally (which would be needed with
exclusive flag set as well, in wmii 2.5.x it is Alt-Return, same
in LarsWM if I remember correctly).

And we get no corner cases if several columns are set exclusive,
thus the predictability is given at any time.

Regards,