Re: [wmii] Stacks

From: Patrick Albuquerque <rpm_AT_albuquerque.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:54:35 -0600

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:59:00AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:10:54AM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > > Tagging windows with arbitrary tags sounds pretty painful to me.
> > > It is easy to press or invoke a tag sending a window to a
> > > specific page (that is like a tag) and you don't have to think
> > > about how you call the tag, because a page is associated with a
> > > number.
> > You would usually select from a predefined set of tags, and you probably
> > could asign default tags based on regexp matching of the window id
> > string, so I don't
> > think this is necessarily a big problem, you could then associate Alt+1 with
> > tag-ws "email" Alt+2 with tag-ws "dev" and so on, and one window could
> > show up in more than one virtual ws (a ws would be just a collection
> > of all clients that have a certain tag.)
> >
> > New windows could inherit the tag of the current ws by default.
>
> Well, sounds like an page id <-> tag mapping, no big deal. But
> we can think about it after wmii-3 if it would make sense.
>
> > [BTW, once more, why the hell we have "pages" and not "workspaces"?
> > it's confusing and senseless]
>
> I'm open to change it to something else. The original reason I
> called them 'pages' is because the tiny tool which shows your
> 'workspaces' in WIMPish environments is called 'pager' and not
> 'workspacer'. Also the term 'workspace' is somewhat misleading
> because it implies some static understanding of managing windows
> in different places. If we're going to adapt you ideas after
> wmii-3 and make such 'pages' something like dynamic groups of
> referenced clients the 'page' term would also be rather static.
> Dunno of 'container', 'layout' or 'vscreen' would be better
> terms. Would be interesting to hear comments from native
> speakers about this question.

Hello,

As a native speaker, 'confusing and senseless' is more the rule than
exception in the English language. For instance, please do not think
that inflammable means the opposite of flammable!

In this case the 'page' metaphor does make sense I think, and also works
very well with what you are trying to implement with 'columns' as
columns are elements of page layout. In addition, there is a nice
analogue to OS kernel swapping pages of memory.

Patrick.