Re: [wmii] snap: 20060307

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:23:26 +0100

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 06:07:29PM -0500, Bill Puschmann wrote:
> Sure. Agreed. Of course, you can just swap the bindings in
> ~/.wmii-3/wmiirc ... or was I the only person that discovered that?

Ok, I think we can go for Alt-[1,..,9] for selecting specific
tags, and Alt-Shift-[1,..,9] for tagging.

> I'm glad to see that there is a place this information can be accessed.
> Although something similar to "pager" might be nice... only because I'm
> having difficulty knowing which workspaces are currently in use and which
> are empty (nice to know if you have that one application that wants the full
> screen and doesn't play well with others...). Perhaps I'll script something
> in the bar....

Having all tags in the bar should be ok.

> 1) Next "workspace" and Previous "Workspace": It was nice being able to
> scan through several pages of windows looking for updates (for example -
> work email in one ws, home email/chat in a second, etc.). Is this going to
> be possible? (Also, the left/right click on the bottom bar really helped
> scroll through them).

You could still achive this with tag labels in the bar to click
them. If you know your tags you can even script next/prev
mechanism.

> 2) Delete a workspace as soon as it's empty: I very much understand the
> reasoning and thoughts here. However, it's become a bit annoying with some
> applications. For example when you open a document in Inkscape, it closes
> the current window and opens the graphic in a new window. So I'll go
> through the problem of opening Inkscape, moving it to a ws, opening an
> image.... then getting shoved back to another ws where I'll have to go back
> and retag it with the correct tag... Also, sometimes I'll have to run a
> slow loading application from an XTerm (rather than the wmibar). I used to
> background it and close the Term while it loads. Now I have to wait for it
> to show before closing the Term.

I think the way to go is, to destroy an empty ws only if another
tag is selected and it keeps empty. That is a good compromise.

> (I'm also still getting an odd crashing bug relating to window resizing....
> but I want to experiment with it more before typing up a full list of
> symptoms - it's been happening with the last several snaps, but isn't too
> common)

yes sorry.

Regards,