Re: [wmii] Tags

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:38:46 +0100

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:30:29PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 04:49:58PM +0100, Erik Ivarsson wrote:
> > Maybe this have been discussed earlier but is it possible to select
> > multiple tags at once?
> > For example if I have a group of windows used for some task and another
> > for some other task but for some reason wants to show them at once.
> > Tried "echo -n select 1 2 | wmiir write /ctl" but that doesn't seem to
> > work. Do I have to change the tags of one of the groups to include the
> > other one?
>
> I did some prototypical tests of such behavior, but it was
> somewhat redundant, because you could write a script which
> adds/removes say a 'join' tag to all kinds of clients you want
> to join. Thus I think it is better to have only one way and not
> two. The problem for select '1 2' is not the join, but the
> inheritance of new clients and to easily getting rid of the
> join. It is also easier to recognize the relation that a ws can
> only be a single tag, but clients can have arbitrary tags.

Remark, don't take it as No to such functionality. Actually I'm
not sure yet if it would be worth effort to be implemented (I
mean the select tag(s) mechanism. The only drawback is, if new
clients occure, they would inherit all tags which are joined,
dunno if that would be annoying, my script would work slightly
different, new clients would only inherit the 'join' tag.

Regards,