Re: [wmii] snap: 20060313

From: R. Mattes <rm_AT_seid-online.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:53:33 +0100

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 18:10 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:55:44PM +0100, R. Mattes wrote:

> > could you elaborate a bit more on this? The "nice thing" about
> > 'exec'ing a new wmiirc is that the PID of the process stays the
> > same.
>
> I already did, maybe you missed
> http://wmii.de/pipermail/wmii/2006-March/000748.html

Indeed, i did (burning mailserver over here -- some old mails just
start to come in ...).
I don't understand "the 'exec wmiirc' make the current wmiir read /event
context a zombie". Shell 'exec' will _replace_ the current shell with
the new process, so no zombies (and no new PID).

> Btw. I don't see the point why having the same pid is a 'nice' thing?

Hmm, i guess it's a matter of taste. Saves one from rewriting the PID
file (and i do think a PID file is usefull. I install a SIGHUP handler
in my wmiirc that reexecutes wmiirc ... just to make shure i can get
it back once i sent the process to configuration nirvana while
experimenting).

 Cheers and thanks

  RalfD