Tags II (was Re: [wmii] Tags)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:26:32 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 04:49:58PM +0100, Erik Ivarsson wrote:
> Maybe this have been discussed earlier but is it possible to select
> multiple tags at once?
> For example if I have a group of windows used for some task and another
> for some other task but for some reason wants to show them at once.
> Tried "echo -n select 1 2 | wmiir write /ctl" but that doesn't seem to
> work. Do I have to change the tags of one of the groups to include the
> other one?

I currently implement this. The only difference is, that the tag
separator will be '+' instead of ' ', because otherwise we would
need to do really nasty things in the /event mainloop of wmiirc
to escape ' ' (which are recognized as argument separators)...

Having

  echo -n select www+dev+irc | wmiir write /ctl

seems also more readable than

  echo -n select www dev irc | wmiir write /ctl

;)

If one opens a new client on the specific page which is based
on a join of several tags this client will inherit the joined
tags, which has the effect that it appears in all joined tags as
well, I think such behavior would be most logically (though you
can just reset the tag on the fly to something different).

Regards,