Re: [wmii] snap: 20060323 -- mouse support

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:18:01 +0100

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:48:28AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> - removed border-based resize/move stuff, instead use
> Alt-Button1/Button3 (we don't want two ways for the same
> functionality) -> this has also the sideeffect that all cursor
> issues in client applications are solved now

Hmmm...I don't think it's good to resolve problems by removing
features which are suffering from these.

But there are other arguments against it as well:
Why is it better to only have one way to do things?

I like the possibility to move and resize windows by keyboard
because I don't have to get my hands off the keyboard just
for doing so. (BTW, I'm missing defaults for this in current wmii.)
But sometimes I'm already working with the mouse and then I don't
want to have to mess with the keyboard. And those combinations of
mouse buttons and keys are really ugly... Remember the Apple
mouse with the single button and that ugly emulation of additional
buttons via the keyboard!

Just as it is not good to force users to use the mouse I think
it's not good to force user's to the keyboard. X is a mouse
driven environment anyways. Well designed applications are
supposed to have keyboard bindings for menus, buttons, etc.
so one can do all the stuff in two ways. And if other window
managers can handle this correctly I can't see why wmii can't.

Regards,
Stefan