[wmii] Re: tags vs. views

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:57:32 +0200

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:43:26AM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> > Once you created such view, you want to know that it still
> > contains clients (and it can even contain more clients in the
> > meantime).
>
> I still don't see why, as this view by definition cannot contain any
> clients that are not also visible in a singular view; so the only
> difference between a cached and an uncached view is the remembered
> layout information, which I believe is not enough to present them as
> two different concepts to the user. The problem is that currently,
> views are treated as some kind of objects that can either exist or
> not; though this is the case on the inside, it shouldn't be on the
> outside. A view is just a way to look at your workspace; the
> remembering of a layout for a seen-before view is a courtesy to the
> user, not something that makes these views special enough to treat
> them different then unseen views...

I think you miss the point. If you select a view like '1+2' and
in the meantime you want to switch to '3' then you have to
explicitly to reselect '1+2' from the menu with entering '1+2'
again, although it is still cached. For singular views you got
shortcuts, they can be accessed very fast. That is why I create
a label especially because of those joint views, to access them
right faster through a mouse click, then entering the tag
combination again and again to the menu, once you want to switch
back to such a view.

There is nothing wrong with displaying cached views (they are
destroyed if no tag exists anymore, thus their lifetime is not
longer than singular tags).

Regards,