Re: [wmii] Fwd: Re: wmii post from perl@gmx.org requires approval

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:38:01 +0200

All approaches suck in their specific way.

Including awk in an associative array, and using this inclusion
to create all shortcuts and handle the Key events limits the
flexbibility of current wmiirc much. It would be quite
cumbersome to perform more than one command in a row if a
shortcut has been pressed.

Writing an awk/m4/wtf script that creates temporary shell script
on invocation, which gets executed as wmiirc, sounds cumbersome
as well. It would allow an easier configuration, but introduces
more complexity (generating wmiirc shell script) and forces
users to learn two instead of one languages. This a similiar
braindead approach like sendmail is configured.

Having two files has the same drawback as we already noticed in
earlier versions. All scripts need to include the config files,
and users get confused very fast.

Parsing of wmiirc will fail in many ways, hence I consider it as
no way to go.

In my eyes the sh-based approach as it is now, is the best and
beside of that, it worked quite well so far.
The only drawback I notice is, that the shortcuts need to be
defined before they can be referenced in the event loop. But if
this is documented well enough, it sucks much less than the
alternative approaches which suck in their specific way.

Hopefully the discussion is done with this summary.

Regards,