Re: [wmii] multitags

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:02:52 +0200

As I already wrote yesterday, the argument pro multiple tags
per client is to support sticky windows in an elegant and very
flexible way. And that was one main argument to introduce them!

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 01:42:05AM +0200, Tube wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:22:56PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > reason). In other words, this overhead means several hundred
> > lines of code.
> that's an argument
That's your point of view. To me it isn't.

> > Thus I propose, to only allow a tag per client. This would
> agree with it. even better, you can now again get rid of window bars as
> the only reason i saw for them was displaying the appropriate tag
Do you really have that small screens that you can't afford those
16 pixels height per window? (If people don't like it, make it
configurable.)
To me it appears more useful to have window titles in their title bar
than only the current window title in the status bar, which BTW is
limited to a single line and thus is very limited in space!
Whether you experience this yourself or not, there are circumstances
in which title bars are very useful to find the window I like to
select. As well, they highlight the focused window much better than
just a frame (I don't like having to use neon-colours just to highlight
the selected frame with enough contrast).
And in principle one could make more use of them (e.g. mouse and menu
driven tag changes or whatever). They're not just wasted space.

> and the stack thing is another one i'll comment on later ;)
Actually this stack thing is very useful if you prefer working with
maximized windows, but still want to see what else is around.

I'm happy with those titlebars and multiple tags!

Minimalism and user-friendlyness do not always fit together...

The point where I'd like to see some improvement is this click-to-focus
thing:
- only button 1 changes focus (2 and 3 should as well)
- button 2 and 3 are passed through, 1 not (but should as well)

Regards,
Stefan