Re: [wmii] new (consistent) keybindings in the hg repo

From: John Nowak <john_AT_johnnowak.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:37:39 -0400

On Apr 11, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Sander van Dijk wrote:

> On 4/11/06, Lars Noschinski <lars_AT_public.noschinski.de> wrote:
>> * Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> [2006-04-11 15:05]:
>>> Actually h/j/k/l is home row, whereas cursor keys are in very
>>> nasty locations usually.
>>
>> On de and us, sure, but not on dvorak.
>
> True, but still less nasty locations than the cursor keys. Also, we're
> talking about default bindings here, and us is the default keyboard
> layout. There just is no set of bindings that's ideal for all layouts;
> I'm a dvorak user too, but I'll still vote for default bindings that
> are good on a default keyboard...

Arrow keys however work the same on every keyboard. They're also good
for those working largely with the mouse, as many people do when
browsing or using certain types of programs. It seems to me that the
arrows are a safer default. People can change them later to do what
is "optimal" in their personal opinion.

- John