Re: [wmii] new (consistent) keybindings in the hg repo

From: John Nowak <john_AT_johnnowak.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:40:54 -0400

On Apr 11, 2006, at 11:57 AM, Bartosz Trudnowski wrote:

> And vi is not the only app launched from wmii :). Many apps use
> arrow keys - it is fact which you can't ignore. For me, this is
> annoying moving hand between hjkl and arrows while navigating
> between apps and inside an app.

It is also important to point out that it is hardly a majority of
users that use vi. I'd say about 10% of Linux/BSD users in general.
Probably much higher for wmii users (~25%), but still. Most people
aren't.

> Another thing is the default $MODKEY. Alt too often collide with
> shortcuts used in applications. To resolve this, someone somewhere
> propose, that all window managers should (by default) use shortcuts
> with Mod4 (quite common in today's keyboards). This would be nice,
> if wmii will support this idea.

This is a very good idea. It also has the nice touch that the
"windows" key is used for the window manager. Being on a Powerbook, I
don't get to take advantage of that cute fact, but it seems most
users would. I personally have many collisions with the default key
bindings and a particular multimedia programming environment.

- John