Re: [wmii] What about the focus now?

From: Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:04:10 +0200

Hallo Sander,

* Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> [2006-04-19 16:09]:
> On 4/19/06, Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de> wrote:
> > Why is it more consistent if the bahviour is changing
> > depending on if this tag already exists somewhere or not?
>
> Since I suggested this change to Anselm, let me clarify this:
> - the dependence of the behavior on the existence of the tag is
> inconsistent, and was unintended.
> - the change itself (switching to the view the client is sent to) is
> more consistent because focus stays on the client too when you send it
> to another area, or you make it floating (so keeping the client
> focussed when sending it to another view too would make it so that
> focus always stays on the client when you send it somewhere).
>
> I overlooked an important difference when suggesting this change
> though: a client can only be in one area (per view) at a time, but it
> can be in multiple views; hence, it is not clear what view to pick
> when retagging a client with something like "aap+noot"; should view
> "aap" or "noot" be picked here?
> Hence, it is already decided that the old behavior (keeping the
> current view) will be restored. Even though this will slightly
> decrease consistency, it will improve predictability (and has the nice
> side-effect of being able to startup clients in the background through
> rules).

Ok fine. Maybe you are right then about the consistency but
from usability view this side-effect is a great feature.
Regards Nico

--
Nico Golde - JAB: nion_AT_jabber.ccc.de | GPG: 0x73647CFF
http://www.ngolde.de | http://www.muttng.org | http://grml.org