Re: [wmii] What about the focus now?

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:02:10 +0200

On 4/19/06, Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de> wrote:
> Why is it more consistent if the bahviour is changing
> depending on if this tag already exists somewhere or not?

Since I suggested this change to Anselm, let me clarify this:
- the dependence of the behavior on the existence of the tag is
inconsistent, and was unintended.
- the change itself (switching to the view the client is sent to) is
more consistent because focus stays on the client too when you send it
to another area, or you make it floating (so keeping the client
focussed when sending it to another view too would make it so that
focus always stays on the client when you send it somewhere).

I overlooked an important difference when suggesting this change
though: a client can only be in one area (per view) at a time, but it
can be in multiple views; hence, it is not clear what view to pick
when retagging a client with something like "aap+noot"; should view
"aap" or "noot" be picked here?
Hence, it is already decided that the old behavior (keeping the
current view) will be restored. Even though this will slightly
decrease consistency, it will improve predictability (and has the nice
side-effect of being able to startup clients in the background through
rules).

Greetings, Sander.