Re: [wmii] Automatic destruction of views

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:39:11 +0200

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:30:45 +0200
"Sander van Dijk" <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> The same applies to columns, if you want to remove a client from a
> column, but add another one to it, you just have to either do that in
> the correct order (add new client, than remove the other one), or
> recreate the column; the same does and should apply to views.
>
> > Last but not least, this behaviour was introduced as a means to add some
> > consistency to column behaviour, but actually, there is about zero relation
> > between clients and views?
>
> There's definitaly a relation between frames, columns and views:
> allowing empty ones is undynamic, and on top of that allowing some of
> them to be empty but not others would be inconsistent as well; if you
> cannot select empty views, views shouldn't be allowed to remain in
> existence when they become empty either; as soon as something becomes
> empty, it becomes obsolete, I believe it's good that this applies to
> all 'objects' in wmii (frames, columns, and views).
>
> >From my point of view, the old situation, where empty views would sort
> of autodestruct, but only after you _manually_ switched away from
> them, was just plain weird... (imagine having that scheme for frames
> and columns...)

Whatever relation between columns and views exist, there is this one big /pragmatic/ difference: While the destruction of a column is bredictable, and the recreation of a column costs one keystroke and about zero time, the destruction of a view always puts the user somewhere unpredictable (for him, in his workflow), and the recreation of a view is quite a hassle. Not just from an interface POV, but also it is much more CPU, Graphics and RAM intensive and thus is (or at least can be) painfully slow. If destruction /was/ predictable, if rectreation /was/ easy, if changing views /was/ fast, I wouldn't say anything. Autodestruction would be the only right thing. But at least currently, the disadvantages overwhelm the pros.

Greetings,
Denis