Re: [wmii] Automatic destruction of views

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:19:08 +0200

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 03:52:47PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> > I think that we can drop auto-destroying views and doing the
> > destroy when the 'view' command is invoked instead.
>
> Being able to 'stay' on an empty view, but not being able to select a
> random empty view, is inconsistent. I'm firmly against removing the
> autodestroying of views, but if it was ever to happen, doing
> xwrite /ctl view some_nonexisting_tag
> should put you in the same situation as removing the last client of a
> tag, for consistency's sake.

Yes, and that might be a side-effect which could be advantageous
as well. I heared many users asking for a way to run specific
rule-less clients in a specific view. Selecting an non-existent
view and then running a bunch of clients would be a simple
solution. Though, I'll need to think about it further.

Regards,