Re: [wmii] WMII3 i18n

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:36:52 +0200

Hi Alexander,

sorry, I didn't replied to your privmail, but wanted to ;)

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:19:50PM +0400, Alexander Polakov wrote:
> There is a bug with i18n in wmii, I think. I attached a screen
> shot, because I think I would ever explait it. In the title of
> every gtk2-application there's garbage before the cyrillic
> symbols looking like "4%/144koi8-r4". Such expression is
> before each cyrillic word in the label. I tried twm with this
> font, but the problem isn't there. I'm using wmii not for long
> time and this bug is one thing I don't like. Hope, you
> understood what I meant and have time to fix this before
> release.

> I have some ideas about the source of the problem
>
> here is twm realization of i18n, I think:
> Status
> I18N_FetchName(Display *dpy, Window w, char **winname)
> {
> int status;
> XTextProperty text_prop;
> char **list;
> int num;
>
> status = XGetWMName(dpy, w, &text_prop);
> if (!status || !text_prop.value || !text_prop.nitems) {
> *winname = NULL;
> return 0;
> }
> status = XmbTextPropertyToTextList(dpy, &text_prop, &list, &num);
> if (status < Success || !num || !*list) {
> *winname = NULL;
> return 0;
> }
> XFree(text_prop.value);
> *winname = (char *)strdup(*list);
> XFreeStringList(list);
> return 1;
> }
>
> Maybe it can help...
> Thank you in advance, Alexander Polakov

Actually that won't help. I plan to use the Draw16 methods
instead of the plain Draw methods of Xlib, it is on TODO for
wmii-3 already. wmii will only support UTF8, but no
locale-specific encodings. I assume that koi8 is not
UTF8-compliant, thus I recommend to switch to UTF8 once wmii-3
is released to get correct renderings of strings which contain
non-7bit characters.

Regards,