Re: [wmii] Increment handling

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:25:09 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 12:37:14AM +0200, Denis Grelich wrote:
> sqweek complained on IRC about wmii's increment handling, so I
> sat down and implemented a patch for that. Instead making a
> frame 2*border + client-rect large, the patch just gives the
> frame the size it should take in the column and centers the
> client-rect inside the frame. Here it goes:
>
> http://www.ueberl33t.net/tmp/increment_handling_improved.patch
>
> Unfortunately, it breaks the increment handling relaxation
> algorithm, which should be reviewed.

I don't like this solution. Actually I did something similiar in
wmii-0-current a year ago, but it looks quite cumbersome and
doesn't provides an easy way for relaxation.

Also, your patch is not related to increment handling directly,
because it simply provides a frame's rectangle to a client which
has to fit into that, even if this rect is sub-optimal. But my
relaxation algorithm actually tries to use optimal rectangles
for clients(!) and not for frames, to provide most-possible
screen space to them. Increment handling is a client-rectangle
oriented task.

Even assumed you would attach your algorithm at the result of
current relaxation, in my eyes windows with different border
widths beside each other would look pretty ugly. That's because
my relaxation algorithm takes care to avoid differently sized
gaps (except for max mode in columns, there this is impossible).

Regards,